Friday, November 12, 2010

Recently Watched:



Breaking Upwards
I love the trend in independent cinema of one person wearing the actor, directer & writers hat and in the case of "Breaking Upwards," Daryl Wein acted, wrote, directed AND edited.

The film is about a couple who is trying to break up slowly by taking "days off" in their relationship to do whatever they want. The film co-stars Zoe Lister-Jones, Wein's real life girlfriend and the film is somewhat autobiographical of their relationship. It's funny and it feels young and real. It really fits in with the films that I saw at the Maryland Film Festival: Tiny Furniture and Gabi on the Roof in July. So if you haven't already I say go see all 3!

Janeane Garofalo 'If You Will' Live in Seattle
One of the funniest stand-ups that I've seen in awhile. I've liked Janeane Garofalo since I saw her in the film Bye, Bye Love. I like the fact that she gets up on stage and is able to articulate her opinion and draw from her own REAL LIFE experiences. All too often comedians make up ridiculous scenarios that may be funny but aren't real.

Due Date
Most commercial comedy films won't be as funny as the Hangover..and this is one of those movies. Although it had its funny parts the unrealistic nature of the story, and the fact that as a pair neither Downey's character or Galifianakis' character were very likable I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment