Monday, June 13, 2011

Recently Watched: Last Night

I watched this movie because I'm a fan of Guillaume Canet and I really liked him in it. The film..not so much. A lot of the dialogue and supporting characters were very convenient for the story line. Would a man at a dinner give you advice about cheating the first time you meet him? Is anyone that bold? Or is he an easy character used as a plot device??! (I'm asking you.) The dialogue was also very low. I'd like to think that I'm not a close minded American in that I appreciate accents but between Sam Worthington's Australian accent, Keira Knightly's English and Guillaume Canet's French I felt like I missed a third of the dialogue.

In list form:
-Sam Worthington has dead eyes and a flat voice.
-Eva Mendes was supposed to be "the hot girl" but she looked kind of harsh throughout the whole film.
-Keira Knightly gave a pretty good performance, but I didn't 100% care about her characters relationship issues. What does she like about her husband? What did she like about her past lover? It's not really explained.
-Canet shined mostly because HE'S FIIINE. No, but really he was good in the film. When he is happy he has spark about him that seems real. And he is the only character that seemed to convey that he was in love with another character.

The film basically boils down to will each member of the couple cheat during their night apart? What I'll tell you is ONE DOES AND ONE DOESN'T. and not the right couple, man. One last thing, I don't think their relationship was worth saving, you don't get the sense that they are really all that in love, they play out the "we've been together for 4 years so it's time to get married" story.

No comments:

Post a Comment