Thursday, August 26, 2010

This kid CAN read.

I found myself thoroughly entertained by Diablo Cody's book about stripping. She's a smart girl who sees an amateur night sign and decides why the hell not! Cody provides a hilarious but sometimes disturbing insiders look into the sexual entertainment business. Her wit is ridiculous and after awhile I stopped asking myself but wait why is she still doing this, and became immersed in the world that she was creating. From the authoritative bosses, naive or aged co-workers to the creepy customers with very strange ..habits.., to the drunken frat boys and bitchy girls, Cody provided an interesting look at not only the people who work in the industry but the people who keep it going.



This was by far one of the funniest things that I've read. It was displayed near a section that a library assistant was helping me look for "You're a Horrible Person, But I like You," so I picked it up. I've never read anything by Sedaris, but I've been a fan of his crazy sister Amy Sedaris (Strangers with Candy) for awhile. David actually wrote about Amy quite a bit, and I have to say he has an amazing ability to capture and profile his family members as well as his own neurosis. The article about his little person guitar teacher was both sad and hysterical. I think sometimes we forget how rare it is to hear a GOOD story, most of the time the story teller is getting more out of telling the story than the listeners are getting from sitting through it. But "Me Talk Pretty One Day" provides a string of great stories. go read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment